Virtual Book Tour
Learn how launching a Virtual Book Tour with two guaranteed blog appearances can kick-start your on-going virtual tour and put your book in front of thousands of readers.
Scroll for more information.
Take Your Book on a Whirlwind Tour of the Blogosphere
What is a Virtual Book Tour?
A Virtual Book Tour is very similar to a physical book tour. However, instead of loading up copies of your book and driving from bookstore to bookstore and radio station to radio station to promote, you and/or your book can make “appearances” on blogs and social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube – while you stay put in the comfort of your own home. Unlike a physical book tour, your Virtual Book Tour is a permanent part of your web presence. Your tour stays archived and available for internet searches forever.
If traveling to promote your book in person is not currently an option for you, a Virtual Book Tour is a quick, cost-effective way to instantly promote your book on a variety of high-profile venues—venues that could result in valuable book reviews and interview opportunities.
How does a Virtual Book Tour Launch work?
- Outskirts Press uses the power of the blogosphere to launch your Virtual Book Tour with two guaranteed blog appearances on SelfPublishingNews.com and SelfPublishingAdvisor.com. Automated aggregation will then announce and promote those blog appearances to our Facebook and Twitter communities, resulting in a combined grand-total of approximately 60,000 "touches" with active readers and writers. Avid readers who are connected via these social media and blogging platforms will “meet” you and learn about your book thru these virtual appearances.
- Once your appearances are scheduled, you will receive the dates along with a Virtual Book Tour packet that contain all the materials and information you need to continue your Virtual Book Tour on additional blogs, websites and social networks. Bloggers and other social media movers and shakers often schedule book reviews or author interviews based on the information they receive via your Virtual Book Tour.
- Outskirts Press will register you with a complimentary "digital clipping service," which tracks all of your book’s virtual book appearances. Each time your book is mentioned anywhere on the internet, you will receive a notification so you can follow the buzz about your book in real time, and even participate in the discussion about your book through the comments sections. The clipping service feature allows you to immediately follow up with each blogger, as well as comment on their blogs, so you can have meaningful interactions with interested readers. Interactions like these can help you build a loyal readership!
A word from an author about the Virtual Book Tour.
Kelli Sue LandonI have learned so much while publishing my book with Outskirts Press. Not only has my book been sold on major retail websites, the marketing choices I have available are outstanding! I have never seen so many ways to market a book with any other self publisher! They did great work on my book trailer as well as various emails, providing tips for promoting my book. The Virtual Book Tour has really helped - putting my book out there on other readers' blogs helps for exposure. I now have my second novel sent to Outskirts Press and can't wait to see this finished product!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is a Virtual Book Tour better than an in-person book tour?
In the past, authors spent time and money slogging from city to city, going to book signings and readings at brick and mortar bookstores, in the hopes of encouraging people who were shopping in the store to purchase a copy of their book. Fortunately, it is no longer necessary to promote your book in this expensive and time-consuming way. Like everything else, Book Tours have gone virtual! Now, your tour can start in your living room and instead of reaching a few shoppers, you can reach thousands!
- What is the advantage of a virtual interview over an in-person interview?
Unless you are a seasoned public speaker, in-person interviews can be intimidating. You may have some idea of what the interviewer will be asking, but there can always be surprises. With a Virtual Interview, you receive the questions in advance so you may take your time, crafting your responses thoughtfully and carefully (even adding links to your website or social media) in order to clearly communicate what you want your readers to know about the book. You may want to add other media, like an excerpt of your audio book or your book video trailer.
- Can I post the interview to my own social media?
Yes, we highly encourage you to post your Author Interview to your own social media channels (or at least a link to one of your Virtual Book Tours in the blogosphere), letting your followers know about it and encouraging them to share the content.
- Can I contact bloggers on my own for more Virtual Book Tour appearances?
Yes, you can, and we hope you will! Within our network, we guarantee two Virtual Book Tour appearances on two different blogs featuring information about your book and your author interview. But you can and should build on this successful launch by making a list of blogs relevant to your book/genre/content. Then begin interacting with them by commenting, retweeting or posting on social media. This can gain the attention of the blogger, and make them inclined to listen to a future request for an interview or review.