Professional Copyediting Service Details
- Why is editing important
- If you want to publish a high-quality book, you simply MUST have your manuscript edited. Even if you plan on publishing your book traditionally by submitting it to a conventional publisher or to an agent, you really should have it edited before you submit it. And even if you plan to self-publish it, you really should have it edited. No one will take your book seriously if it is riddled with errors.
Outskirts Press offers high-quality copyediting services for manuscripts of all lengths and types, regardless of whether you plan on publishing your book with us or somewhere else.
Editing timeframes depend upon the length and complexity of the manuscript. Basic editing of a typical manuscript can take up to 4 weeks, although many are completed faster.
- Basic copyediting service is billed per word at 2.4 cents per word. The initial $360 is a down payment. The word count is determined by utilizing the "Word Count" function in MS Word for Windows on the manuscript submission made by the author. We edit only digital manuscripts, not hard copies such as typewritten pages or actual books.
There is a 15,000 word minimum, so if your manuscript contains fewer than 15,000 words, your total cost will be no more than the $360 that you pay initially.
If your manuscript is longer than 15,000 words, we will add the additional total to your shopping cart once we conduct the word count. You must pay the total editing fee prior to our editing your manuscript.
- Works of poetry
- Works of poetry are calculated differently. If you have a work of poetry, editing services are charged on a $60/hour basis, billed in 15-minute increments. There is a minimum initial payment of $360, which covers the first 6 hours (required). The work of poetry is then edited to determine the time frame. Any remaining amount due is billed to you. Upon receipt of your total payment, the edited manuscript is returned to you.
- Ordering details
- By adding this option to your cart and paying the non-refundable deposit, you are ordering our editing service and are required to pay the full editing amount when billed. You can estimate the total cost yourself in advance by running "word count" on your document in Word for Windows and multiplying that number by .024. All editing fees become non-refundable once paid.
By ordering this option, you acknowledge that editors are human beings and, as such, you realize that this option is not a way to guarantee a 100% error-free manuscript. The editor will conduct a thorough basic edit over the manuscript's punctuation, spelling, and grammar, although given the variables in accepted styles, the author realizes that some modifications, such as comma usage, can be subjective.
- Editing can be subjective
- Due to the subjectivity of editing, the editor will not change your manuscript, but rather, will make recommendations for suggested corrections. The author receives these suggested edits via "Track Changes" in the original Word file. It is your responsibility to accept or reject the editor's recommendations and make those changes to your manuscript. This preserves the purity of your story and "voice."
Ordering this option does not guarantee a 100% error-free manuscript. Editors are human, too, and are allowed a small margin of error (typically less than 5%). Even so, the corrections made to your manuscript will be extensive and important. A final review by you as you implement the editor's suggested changes will ensure as pristine a document as humanly possible.
Currently we edit only the English language. If any other language is within the body of your document, it will be ignored, but will still play a role in the word count calculation to determine editing cost.
Planning to publish with Outskirts Press? Start your publishing process before ordering editing.Start publishing
See what Outskirts Press authors are saying about their self-publishing experience
My representative Jamie was always extremely professional and helpful during the entire process of my book publication. She always responded very quickly to requests and was always helpful throughout the entire process. She is a great role model and a great asset to the Outskirts Press family. I will highly recommend Outskirts Press to my friends and associates and also look forward to doing more business in the future. I am extremely pleased with my book publication and consider this a major milestone in my life . Thank you all very much...
Lawrence N. Weston
author of Avoiding Self Imposed Adversities
From the beginning, and throughout the process of publishing my first book, I felt that I was in the hands of a pro. Dana always took the time to answer my questions in detail and swiftly, and if she didn't have 100% confidence, she researched the question and got back to me. I was very pleased with her and I am also thankful that I was paired with her as an Author Rep.
David Matityahu Ben Avraham
author of There's No Such Thing as Magic Blood
Bridget, as well as the entire Outskirts Press team working with me, are exceptional. They held my hand through the entire process in addition to providing me with welcomed support and encouragement. I am looking forward to our next project together. I have recommended Outskirts Press to several freelance authors in my area. Thank you for making a potentially hectic journey so enjoyable and so satisfying.
Paneque y Diaz
author of More Than What They Seemed
I was very happy with my author rep's responses to me. She did a superb job of answering my questions and helping me through the editing process. She was always available when I needed her. I'm delighted with the outcome--my book looks good and it's selling! Thank you.
author of Reclaim Your Right To Grow Old
A great experience with Outskirts Press. I learned a lot in this process. I will do it all over again. Thank you so much.
Esther A. Ota
author of Children: My Heritage - A Testimony
The one-on-one with Lisa was great. Especially the phone call picking out styles, font, cover template etc. She even got a vote on the color. I so wanted to have my daughter's painting as the art work on the cover and she gave me a way to do that. Her guidance helped turn my dream into a reality and sometimes it is still hard to believe until I look at my book. Thank you.
Nancy L. Regas
author of The Art of Being a School Counselor
What a blockbuster learning experience I had being a part of self publishing with Outskirts Press! I felt empowered to the next challenge by both Allison and Dana. Their professional guidance and clear instructions when I needed help was crucial to feeling I could tackle the next step. I look forward to the experience with the marketing team. Thanks, Outskirts Press.
author of Lima Beans for Breakfast
Outskirts Press changed my life for the better. They turned my adoption memoir into a book that is not only beautiful to look at, it is pleasurable to read, easy to purchase online, and in less than a month already has had a profound impact on many people. A truly amazing company with a heart. Deepest gratitude!
author of We Are All Human Beings
The Outskirts Press team was helpful, attentive, prompt and detail oriented during the publishing process. It really felt like a team effort, and everyone worked hard to create an awesome final product that was my fully published book!
author of Realm of the Invader
Having just published my eighth book with Outskirts Press, I can attest to it being a great experience, and I look forward to publishing number nine. Thanks for a great job.
James A. Hunter
author of Soft And Gentle 8
I would like to thank everyone at Outskirts Press for helping me getting my book (Storms of Jaycard) into print. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would write a book and have it published. Once again, I would like to thank everyone at Outskirts Press for making my book dream come true.
Joseph J. Myer
author of Storms of Jaycard