Sample Menu and Instructions
Lo Mein Noodles
Minted Cuke and Honeydew Salad
Tea, Coffee, Milk, White Wine
(The grocery list is provided.)
Here we go…
1. Pre-Step: Gather all ingredients to work area. Wash produce as appropriate. Set out frozen whipped cream topping to thaw. Chill white wine if serving.
2. Noodle Water: Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in pasta pot or large sauce pan.
3. Tea and Coffee: Start 1 quart of water to boil in a tea kettle. Make coffee. Place tea bags in a heat-proof pitcher. When tea water comes to a boil, pour water over tea bags in pitcher. Let come to room temperature.
4. Salad Prep: Cut melon into 1 inch cubes. Peel and cut cucumber into ½ inch slices; quarter slices. Peel and slice red onion into thin slices, quarter slices. Chop 2 Tablespoons fresh mint.
5. Combine melon, cucumber, and red onion in a serving bowl. Combine fresh mint, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, and salt to taste; pour over melon mix. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
6. Strawberry Prep: Reserve 4 strawberries for garnish. Hull and slice remaining strawberries in a bowl. Add ¼ cup sugar to sliced berries and stir to mix. Set aside.
7. Noodles: Add Lo Mein noodles to boiling water in pasta pot and cook per package directions, about 5 minutes. Drain noodles, return to pot to stay warm, and stir in 1 Tablespoon olive oil to prevent sticking.
8. Thai Shrimp: Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Chop 4 scallions into ½ inch slices. Add egg and quickly beat. Add shrimp and scallions; stir fry until egg is cooked and shrimp is pink. Add contents of Thai peanut sauce mix; stir to coat shrimp mixture. Add coconut milk, stir to blend, and simmer 2 – 3 minutes or warmed through and thickened. Add peanuts and stir to blend.
9. Serve: Finely slice remaining scallion. Pour pasta in serving plate with a lip. Spoon shrimp with sauce over top. Sprinkle sliced scallion over all.
10. Remove salad from fridge.
11. Dessert: When ready to serve dessert, spoon sliced strawberries in sponge cake shells, put a dollop of whipped cream over berries, and place a whole strawberry on top.
12. You are done! Enjoy your dinner with your family!