Time Magazine's "Invention of the Year" allows a high-quality, black/white paperback book to be printed and sold in about 8 seconds... consider it a "book vending machine." And this option makes your book available via this exciting new sales channel. Scroll down to Product Details for more information.
The Espresso Book Machine® (the "EBM"), which Time Magazine named an "Invention of the Year," provides a revolutionary direct-to-consumer distribution model for books.
Put simply, the EBM is an automated book-making machine. The operator selects a title to print, and within a few minutes a book emerges, with a full-color cover, trimmed to an exact size, and indistinguishable from the publisher's version. As we say, "Hot off the press!"
All EBM books are perfect bound with paperback covers.
A typical book can be produced in three to four minutes.
The trim size variable for Outskirts Press books is between 5" x 8" to 8.25" x 10.5"
Currently, Espresso Book Machines have been set-up in select universities and libraries including:
New York Public Library
University of Michigan Library
World Bank InfoShop, Washington
New Orleans Public Library
San Francisco Internet Archive
University of Michigan Library
Manchester Center Northshire Bookstore
University of Alberta
McMaster University Bookstore
London Newsstand UK
Library of Alexandria,Egypt
Melbourne, Australia Angus & Robertson Bookstore
... and more, with new venues and locations being consistently added...
By adding this option to your title, your book will be available to be ordered, printed, and sold at every current and future Espresso Book Machine location. This is a one-time set-up fee that is good for the duration of your active publication agreement with Outskirts Press. As more Espresso Book Machines are added, your book instantly and automatically becomes available via each of them.
Watch the EBM in action:
The Espresso Book Machine signifies an impending change to the publishing industry... imagine a future when every Starbucks has a machine and customers order a book at the same time they order a double latte..... will your book be ready?
Agreement for Espresso Book Machine Edition
1. Author understands that the Espresso Book Machine Edition and Distribution (EBMD) is intended to be a functional equivalent to the black/white on-demand paperback version, and any differences between the EBMD and the normal on-demand, black/white paperback edition are negligible and outside of Outskirt Press' control, as it depends upon the physical properties of each Espresso Book Machine. The on-site Espresso Book Machine uses a duplicate file as the on-demand black/white paperback edition.
2. The EBMD includes the sale, printing, and distribution of the author's title through the Espresso Book Machines owned by On-Demand Books, at the physical locations where the Espresso Book Machine exists. Outskirts Press has no control over the quantity of Espresso Book Machines that exist, nor the rate at which they are added, nor the locations to where they are added.
3. The author's retail price, base price, trade discount, and author royalty is precisely the same for the Espresso Book Machine title as it is for the black/white trade paperback title.
4. Author understands that the Espresso Book Machine is capable of printing covers in full-color but is only capable of printing the interior in black/white. Full-color and/or hardback books are not manufactured by the Espresso Book Machine and therefore are ineligible for the EBMD.
5. Titles manufactured and sold via EBMD are ineligible for the returns program, even if said title is participating in the Outskirts Press retail returns program at the time of customer-purchase via the Espresso Book Machine.
6. The Espresso Book Machine Distribution set-up fee is non-refundable once purchased.